Torogocito - Handmade Glass Art Figure - Fernando Llort Collection
What better inspiration to El Salvador’s national artist than El Salvador’s national bird? The torogoz is a symbol of unity and family for Salvadorans, given that the male and female birds take on equal responsibilities when nesting. This Torogocito (small torogoz) is a smaller piece that contains in it the full spirit of Llort’s iconic style. Glass is arguably the best medium to depict this polychromed bird, especially in Llort’s pre-columbian inspired expression.
Sculptor, painter, muralist and composer, the multifaceted Fernando Llort’s notable style originates from Salvadoran folklore, featuring his home country’s ethnic and religious cultural elements. The artist left behind an unmistakable legacy, inspired by Mayan art and the colors of his native El Salvador, where his art lives on.
Fernando Llort’s iconic style is brought to life by Margarita Llort’s team of glass artisans. Made by hand and following eco-friendly practices, this piece was created through glass fusing techniques and belongs to the celebrated “Artesanos de luz” collection (Artisans of Light), an unprecedented joint initiative by cousins Fernando and Margarita Llort.
Proceeds from every purchase of items from this collection go to the Fundación Fernando Llort, an organization focused on promoting all manner of creative endeavours in El Salvador and abroad. The organization is fastened on Llort’s belief that the visual arts can benefit a community ́s psychosocial wellbeing.
Vitrales by Margarita Llort recycles and upcycles whenever possible, implementing a “Zero Waste” approach to production. All of the left-over glass from large projects is creatively used in new items. Every purchase is kind to our planet!
• Decorative piece made by hand by artisans specialized in glass art.
• Materials: Stained glass on a forged iron mounting with a rusted finishing, supported on a wooden base made from certified cured pine.
• Technique: Glass casting
• Packaging: Item is placed in a cardboard box, protected with foam and bubble wrap. The piece comes with a tag detailing information about the artwork, the artists, and the technique used.
• Dimensions: Length 12 cm (4.7 inches) x Width 5 cm (2 inches) x Height 18 cm (7.1 inches).
• Packaged Dimensions: Length 15 cm (5.9 inches) x Width 15 cm (5.9 inches) x 10 cm (3.9 inches)
• Item Weight: 0.2 kg, 0.4 pounds
• Packaged Weight: 0.3 kg, 0.6 pounds
• Limited Edition
Care: When removing from box do not lift piece by the glass, always lift by the wooden base or iron features. The piece should not be lifted by the glass.
For cleaning, use a non-scratch cloth with a bit of window-cleaning solution. Wipe carefully and tap dry. For tougher stains use warm water, a bit of gentle soap, and two spoonfuls of vinegar. Wipe carefully and tap dry. The glass can be polished for brightness with a non-scratch cloth. Remember, friction can cause scratches and damage the piece, avoid using force or contact with rough materials. When opening box do not lift piece by the glass, always lift by the wooden base or iron features.
Customize Fernando Llort’s “Torogocito”
Give Fernando Llort’s Torogocito as a gift to commemorate a special moment or milestone. Add a personalized message sketched on a glass plaque attached to the base of the piece.
• Allow us at least three business days to sketch the personalized message on the wooden base.
• Prior to shipping, we will send you a PDF image of your order for your confirmation and approval.
• We can sketch your logo onto the piece. Send us your logo or other image to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send a black and white image, in JPEG or vector format, with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi.
• Select the Customized Sketching option when adding the item to your cart, for $6.00 extra.